Skip to main content

Two rebels killed in militia attack on UN base in east DR Congo

Militia fighters in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo attacked a U.N. peacekeeping base on Friday, triggering clashes that left two of the fighters dead and two peacekeepers slightly wounded, the U.N. mission said.
Thirty-four rebels from a Mai-Mai militia have been killed in fighting with Congo’s army in the past week, local army spokesman Jules Ngongo said, a spike in violence he attributed to an army crackdown on the militia’s harassment of local residents.
Friday’s attack, in which two rebels were also wounded, was a rare frontal assault on U.N. forces charged with protecting civilians in Congo’s east, where dozens of armed groups exploit mineral resources and prey on local residents.
“Very early this morning, about 30 Mai-Mai attacked,” mission spokeswoman Florence Marchal told Reuters, adding that U.N. forces drove off the assailants. It was not immediately clear which Mai-Mai group attacked nor what their objective was.The Mai-Mai comprise a number of armed bands that originally formed to resist Rwandan invasions in the 1990s. They have since morphed into a wide variety of ethnic-based militia, smuggling networks and protection rackets.
Congo’s mineral-rich eastern borderlands are a tinderbox of ethnic tensions and for more than two decades have been racked by violence that has often spilled across the country’s borders.
President Joseph Kabila’s refusal to step down at the end of his constitutional mandate last December has fuelled further unrest in the country’s east, where wars between 1996-2003 killed millions, and centre, where an insurgency against the central government has killed thousands since last August.
Last week, U.N. forces in east Congo’s South Kivu province intervened with helicopters and heavy machine guns to help beat back an advance by a separate rebel group on the strategic city of Uvira.
The U.N. mission in Congo, known as MONUSCO, is the world’s largest with some 18,000 uniformed personnel and a more than $1 billion annual budget.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the weird rules the royal family are expected to follow. (But break all the time).

The weird rules the royal family are expected to follow. (But break all the time). In international news this week, a guy held his girlfriend’s hand. ^^ That sort of thing tends to earn a fair bit of attention when you’re in line to succeed the throne as ruler of a Commonwealth of nations. Especially if that thing, well, just isn’t generally done. “Prince Harry Broke Royal Protocol with Meghan Markle”, “Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Royal PDA May Have Been Against the Rules”, “Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Broke a MAJOR Royal Rule”, the headlines read. But the truth is, the Royals – especially the younger ones – break protocol all the time. Because, let’s face it, a lot of them (the rules, that is) are really bloody weird. Here are a few they’ve tossed out the window. They mustn't let people touch them And not just girlfriends. The media went nuts in 2009 when Michelle Obama and the Queen stood side-by-side with (then) US First Lady Michelle Obama, the...

Corona Virus: Italy may suspend all sport because of corona virus outbreak.

All sport in Italy has been suspended until at least 3 April because of coronavirus, the country's prime minister Giuseppe Conte has announced. This includes Serie A but not Italian clubs or national teams participating in international competitions. Serie A - Italy's top flight - had already said all games would be played behind closed doors until 3 April. Conte extended a series of strict quarantine measures, including a ban on public gatherings, to all of Italy. Earlier, Italy's Olympic committee (CONI) recommended the move to suspend all sport at all levels after hosting a special meeting of sporting federations on Monday. Italy has been the European country worst hit by coronavirus so far, with over 9,000 confirmed cases and more than 450 deaths...... Read More @ Sport News By Mr.Geezzy

CoronaVirus:Troops has been sent to New York 'Containment Zone'

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced a one-mile (1.6km) coronavirus "containment zone" around a town north of New York City. New Rochelle has seen "probably the largest cluster" of US cases, he said. National Guard troops will be used to clean schools in the town and deliver food to any quarantined individuals. The death toll in Italy, one of the countries worst hit by the virus, rose to 631 as the authorities placed the whole country in lockdown. Italy's death toll is the highest outside China, which recorded its lowest number of new infections, just 19, on Tuesday . China, where the virus was first detected, has seen a total of 80,754 confirmed cases, with 3,136 deaths. Why is New York state taking this action? The state has 173 active cases, the most in the US. Of these cases, 108 are in Westchester County, where New Rochelle is located. New York City, which is located around 25 miles (40km) south of New Rochelle, has 36 confir...