Skip to main content

England confirm Ben Stokes will not travel to Australia with the rest of the squad for the Ashes series

Ben Stokes will not travel to Australia with the rest of the England squad for the Ashes, the ECB have confirmed.
All-rounder Stokes, who is currently under police investigation having been arrested on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm last month, has been suspended indefinitely alongside teammate Alex Hales and both aren't being considered for selection in any format of the game until further notice.
The ECB are yet to make a final decision on Stokes' involvement in this winter's tour Down Under but, if he does feature, the 26-year-old will travel later.Middlesex seamer Steven Finn has been added to the squad and will travel with the rest of the side for the five-match Test series later this month.
Both Stokes and Hales have, however, been retained on central contracts with director of England Cricket Andrew Strauss confirming the news on Friday.
“With the Ashes just around the corner, it’s important to give the players, the coaching staff and supporters some clarity around a complex situation," he said. “This decision will help us in the weeks ahead and give every player and the whole England set-up the best chance to focus on the challenge ahead in Australia.
“Steven is a high-quality cricketer, with considerable experience of both international cricket and Australian conditions. The selectors believe he will add to the range of options and the squad will be further supported by the arrival of the Lions in Australia in November.”“We have spoken to Ben and assured him that our decision in no way prejudges the outcome of the ongoing police investigation or Cricket Discipline Commission process, as can be seen by the award of central contracts.
“On these, I would like to congratulate all of those who have received England contracts for 2017/18, ahead of a busy year of international cricket.”
In a separate matter, the ECB has also fined and issued a written warning to Jonny Bairstow, Jake Ball and Liam Plunkett following a disciplinary investigation into behaviour during the recent one-day series against West Indies.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the weird rules the royal family are expected to follow. (But break all the time).

The weird rules the royal family are expected to follow. (But break all the time). In international news this week, a guy held his girlfriend’s hand. ^^ That sort of thing tends to earn a fair bit of attention when you’re in line to succeed the throne as ruler of a Commonwealth of nations. Especially if that thing, well, just isn’t generally done. “Prince Harry Broke Royal Protocol with Meghan Markle”, “Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s Royal PDA May Have Been Against the Rules”, “Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Broke a MAJOR Royal Rule”, the headlines read. But the truth is, the Royals – especially the younger ones – break protocol all the time. Because, let’s face it, a lot of them (the rules, that is) are really bloody weird. Here are a few they’ve tossed out the window. They mustn't let people touch them And not just girlfriends. The media went nuts in 2009 when Michelle Obama and the Queen stood side-by-side with (then) US First Lady Michelle Obama, the...

Corona Virus: Italy may suspend all sport because of corona virus outbreak.

All sport in Italy has been suspended until at least 3 April because of coronavirus, the country's prime minister Giuseppe Conte has announced. This includes Serie A but not Italian clubs or national teams participating in international competitions. Serie A - Italy's top flight - had already said all games would be played behind closed doors until 3 April. Conte extended a series of strict quarantine measures, including a ban on public gatherings, to all of Italy. Earlier, Italy's Olympic committee (CONI) recommended the move to suspend all sport at all levels after hosting a special meeting of sporting federations on Monday. Italy has been the European country worst hit by coronavirus so far, with over 9,000 confirmed cases and more than 450 deaths...... Read More @ Sport News By Mr.Geezzy

CoronaVirus:Troops has been sent to New York 'Containment Zone'

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo has announced a one-mile (1.6km) coronavirus "containment zone" around a town north of New York City. New Rochelle has seen "probably the largest cluster" of US cases, he said. National Guard troops will be used to clean schools in the town and deliver food to any quarantined individuals. The death toll in Italy, one of the countries worst hit by the virus, rose to 631 as the authorities placed the whole country in lockdown. Italy's death toll is the highest outside China, which recorded its lowest number of new infections, just 19, on Tuesday . China, where the virus was first detected, has seen a total of 80,754 confirmed cases, with 3,136 deaths. Why is New York state taking this action? The state has 173 active cases, the most in the US. Of these cases, 108 are in Westchester County, where New Rochelle is located. New York City, which is located around 25 miles (40km) south of New Rochelle, has 36 confir...